Dating: A Self-Exploration Tool
“Dating is about finding out who you are and who others are. If you show up in a masquerade outfit, neither is going to happen.” ~ Henry Cloud
Dating is an interesting stage in a romantic relationship. In involves a social encounter between two individuals. They meet to determine another person’s prospects as a partner in an intimate relationship. In other words, it is the first stage in building a long-lasting relationship. In short, it focuses on determining if the potential partner is a true match or not. It builds a foundation for a strong relationship.
While it is true that it’s primary purpose is to know the other person and understand them. However, the point often overlooked is it’s possible to use in self-discovery. In fact, it is an exceptionally compelling and valuable instrument for personal growth, learning, and self-realization.
It gives you a significant insight into yourself and your needs in a relationship. It serves you in understanding yourself, your values, your likes, and dislikes, etc. Whether you sense a possibility of a long term relationship or are left annoyed with a bad date. However, in both cases, you get an important lesson in self-exploration.
* Learn to Deal with Dating Rejection
- Dating is an important aspect of our lives. It gives you a chance to meet your life partner. Besides, it boosts your confidence, improves your social skills and helps in self-exploration. Despite all the benefits and positive influences, dating also accompanies a disadvantage. It can challenge your sense of self-worth in the name of rejection. It may lead you to pain and heartache when things turn ugly.
- Most likely, rejection is the toughest part of the dating process. It can be extremely devastating if you are dumped or your feelings are not reciprocated. It is further depressing to try to figure out the reasons behind it. In fact, it hits directly to your confidence and self-esteem. It triggers your deep-seated horrors of being unacceptable or even unlovable. It leaves us feeling sad, angry and depressed.
- Since rejection is unavoidable. Therefore, it is necessary to have an effective strategy to deal with it. It is important to realize that you can’t escape rejection till the time you find the right relationship. It must be remembered that rejection happens even with the best and most desirable people. It’s your reaction to it that counts. Hence, it is extremely crucial to concentrate on effective ways to deal with it. You can use it as a milestone in your personal growth, instead of letting it destroy your mental well-being.
- You must learn tactics to deal with rejection in a healthy way. You must embrace it as a learning experience. Moreover, you must prepare yourself to tackle it in a dignified manner. Additionally, you must still be comfortable in exploring other avenues through dating.
* Recognize Your Relationship Needs
- While it is true that healthy relationships are a solid foundation for your mental health and overall well-being. However, toxic and disconcerting relationships can run havoc on your mental health. According to experts, “Healthy relationships require two willing participants who have the courage to face their own shortcomings and to be held accountable”. In other words, you should be aware of your strengths and weaknesses along with your needs in a relationship.
- It is crucial to know what exactly you are looking for in a relationship. In fact, it is your responsibility to clearly acknowledge your needs for building a long-lasting relation. You must know what you need in terms of support, intimacy, alone time, domestic order, independence, sex, love, financial security, etc. In short, you must have a clear picture of your physical, emotional, intellectual, financial and social needs.
In other words, understanding your relationship needs is the first step in constructing healthy and fruitful relations. However, most of the time, people are completely clueless. Although, knowing precisely what you want out of a relationship is a challenging and laborious task. But, it is worth it. It is possible only through constant self-realization. In other words, dating can be used as an effective tool in this process.