“Nothing diminishes anxiety faster than action.” ~Walter Anderson
* Acknowledge and Challenge Your Fears
- Fear/ Anxiety is a normal and often healthy feeling as long as it remains under check. However, if allowed to control your life, it can turn into a paralyzing nightmare. The best practice to deal with it is to acknowledge and challenge it.
- Acknowledging our fears, doubts and insecurities is the very first step in our battle against anxiety disorder. In short, confront your fears and accept them. Once you acknowledge it, fight against it with all your might. You must act upon your fears. Whenever possible, undertake activities and things that causes you anxiety. You must understand that your feelings should not dictate your actions. In short, face your fears and challenge it in every possible way.
- For instance, if you feel anxious due to height. Then, indulge more in activities that require you to climb heights. If it appears too frightening, take small steps. To begin with, climb smaller heights at first. Then, as you get used to it, go for a higher altitude. In this way, you will be able to overcome your fears.
* Understand Others are Just People
- Social Anxiety Disorder is a very common form of anxiety disorder. People with this disorder generally avoid fear and anxiety by avoiding social situations and interactions. In case of unavoidable circumstances, it leads to extreme stress and anxiety attack. In short, it can wreak havoc on your life. However, you can deal with it by learning simple, psychotherapy skills.
- First and foremost, you must understand that others are just people like you. You must realize that other people also responds and reacts to situations just like you do. They make mistakes and learn from them. You must observe and understand human behaviour to check your fears. It is necessary to challenge your negative thoughts and indulge more in social situations. You must learn basic conversational and interpersonal skills to deal more with other people. This will help you in understanding other people and their behaviour. In turn, this will subdue your fears.
- Additionally, shift your focus on other people whenever in anxious social situation. Try to interact more with other people and understand them. This understanding in the nature and behaviour of other people will loosen the clutches of fear from your mind. As a result, you will feel more relaxed and confident in social situations.
* Learn to Deal with Anxiety
- The most common way in which people try to manage their anxiety is by avoiding situations, people, activities etc. that causes it. However, the most effective and best treatment for anxiety is to learn how to deal with it. Running away from anxious situation will never help you in the long run. Moreover, you may be saved from temporary anxiety issues. But, it will adversely affect your self-esteem and confidence. Hence, choose to eradicate the root cause of your concern instead of simply avoiding it’s symptoms.
- There are a wide range of psychotherapy techniques that can help you in the process. You should learn about these practises to change your mindset and response to difficult situations. Apart from them, lifestyle changes, skills enhancing and confidence boosting activities, etc. can help you transform your mental health.