“If you don’t think your anxiety, depression, sadness and stress impact your physical health, think again. All of these emotions trigger chemical reactions in your body, which can lead to inflammation and a weakened immune system. Learn how to cope, sweet friend. There will always be dark days.”
– Kris Carr
* Understand the Impact of Depression on Your Life
Everyone is familiar to feelings of sadness, lack of joy, reduced interest in daily activities. We all encounter them at some point of time. But, a persistent depression is a sure shot sign of concern. Often times, we overlook depression as a simple feeling of sadness. However, it is a serious and complex mental health disorder.
In order to comprehend it’s severity, it is important to understand it’s substantial impact on your life. Although it technically falls under the category of mental ailment. But, it’s effects are felt beyond your emotions and mental health. In other words, it affects many facets of your life.
Studies have confirmed the impact of depression on your physical health and well-being. It leads to serious health conditions such as heart disease or cancer. Your central nervous system, digestive system, cardiovascular and immune systems etc. experience the impact of such disorders.
You will experience issues with pain, sexual desire and performance, and sleep. Besides the physical issues, it complicates every aspect of your life. In short, depression dictates your education and career, your relationships, health and your future prospects.
* Learn to Deal With Depression
Depression leads to serious consequences on our mental, physical, professional and social lives. But the good news is that it is treatable. However, the real problem remains in approaching mental health services on time. It is important to realize that leaving it untreated can result in disastrous consequences in one’s personal and professional life.
There is an extensive range of professional methodologies that assist in dealing with depression. For instance:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT): It is a talking therapy that assists in rectifying your problematic thought patterns and behaviour. It is a psycho-social intervention that focuses on challenging and correcting negative thoughts, beliefs, attitudes and behaviour. In fact, it is the single most widely used therapeutic method to deal with depression and other mental disorders.
- Process-oriented talk therapy: Also known as process work, it is an effective and holistic approach to cure mental disorders like depression. It works on your repressed thoughts, emotions, and experiences that have negative influence on your life.
- Medication: In cases of severe disorder, antidepressant medication acts as a first line of treatment.
- Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT): ECT is yet another procedure used in cases of severe disorders where other methodology has failed. It involves applying small electric currents to carefully selected sites on the scalp. It produces small seizure in the brain to increase the speed of recovery.
- Education: It is an extremely valuable method. Patients are equipped with knowledge base to have a better understanding of their disorder. This gives them the much needed control over their feelings and thoughts.
- Family therapy: It is yet another effective way of treating depression. In this, all the family members get counselling to improve their interpersonal relations. Consequently, patients relationship become a solid support structure for dealing with their issues.
- Hospitalization if necessary: In severe cases of treatment- resistant depression, hospitalization is required. Suicidal threats are the most common reason behind opting this step.
- Residential treatment if necessary: A residential treatment centre or a rehab is required in cases that involves substance abuse and other behaviour issues. It aims at inculcating healthy habits and behaviour patterns under professional supervision.
- Alternative treatments (nutrition plans, exercise plans, meditation or mindfulness strategies): These include an array of alternative therapies used to compliment primary treatment plan. It involves a variety of lifestyle changes that have a positive impact on patient’s mindset.
These are usually used in various combinations depending on your health status, severity of the issue, personality traits and preferences. Learning about these methods and their effectiveness can make the entire treatment process more fruitful and beneficial.
* Build a Strong and Effective Support System
Medical treatments alone are not sufficient to deal with mental health disorders like depression. You will need robust support of caring people who understand your mental state. Your support system can include just about anyone like family members, friends, coworkers, and neighbors etc. It is crucial to build and maintain a strong support mechanism of people who encourage you in recovering fast. Besides, they can act as a check in relapsing back to your ailment. In fact, it is an essential part of an effective treatment plan.
Various researches by healthcare professionals reveals that strong support system is an indicator of better mental and physical health. Researchers have also warned that negative aspects of social relationships can deteriorate your mental health. Stable support system not only helps you in dealing with the disorder. Additionally, it acts as a preventive mechanism that saves you from falling in it’s trap during difficult situations.
It is essential for achieving a pleasant and stress-free life. Given below are some of the benefits that you can experience with a stable support system.
- Avoid feeling lonely, isolated or judged
- Reduces depression, distress, anxiety or fatigue
- Learn to talk openly and honestly about your feelings, thoughts, opinions, etc.
- Learn skills to deal with challenges
- Get the required motivation to manage disorders and continue with treatment plans
- Gain control over your feelings and strengthen your hope.
- Get a better understanding of your issues.
Get Your First Session Absolutely Free
At VCare Therapy, we are here to listen as you express yourself, which helps you to heal and rejuvenate.
- Your first session is absolutely free.
- We have trained and licensed counsellors.
- Active and non-judgemental counsellors are available 24/7.
- You can register yourself and book an appointment in a matter of seconds.